Ostuni is an Apulian city in the Province of Brindisi also known as La Città Bianca (the White City) because of its typical old town completely painted with white lime. Together with Taranto and Santa Maria di Leuca, its one of the ideal vertices of the Salento peninsula. Situated on three hills, it’s distant only 8 kilometers from the Adriatic Sea and immersed in the typical Murgia area, made of ravines and Cretaceous in limestone, but poor in watercourses.
Ostuni was already populated since the Paleolithic era, as evidenced by the discovery of numerous bone remains and cetaceans, even if the first town center was founded by the people of Messapi. Little is known regarding the etymology of the word Ostuni: it probably derives from the name of the hero Sturnoi , companion of Diomede, who founded it after the Trojan War; later on the Romans named it Sturninum.
The term, however, could have been mediated by the messapi, or more probably from the greek word Astu Neon. Renowned tourist destination, in 2009 Ostuni has received the Blue Flag and the Five Sails from Legambiente for its clean the waters, for its coastline and for the excellent quality of the services offered.
What to see
Ostuni is a very popular tourist destination well known for its sea, among the clearest of Italy and for its precious artistic and architectural treasures present in the territory. Among the major examples of religious art and architecture we find the Concattedrale erected in 1435 and placed on the highest hill. The façade is particular thanks to its Gothic shape and it opens thanks to three elegant ogival doors.
The Carmelite Monastery
is an imposing structure dating back to the year ‘700 with the annexed baroque Church of San Vito Martire, whose dome is covered with multicolored tiles. Among the examples of civil architecture we must mention the antique Aragonesi Walls reinforced by circular towers that surround the old town, within which are worth mentioning in particular the Palazzo Zevallos, in pure baroque style, the eighteenth-century Palazzo Vescovile(Bishop's Palace), the Palazzo del Seminario, and the last remains of the Castle, built in 1148 by Goffredo III.
Symbol of the city is the Guglia di Sant’Oronzo , a monument over 20 meters tall with exuberant baroque decorations. Finally, we must mention the numerous archaeological sites in places near the town, among them the Dolmen of Montalbano, the Archaeological and Naturalistic Park of Santa Maria d'Agnano, the Watch Tower of San Leonardo and the Castle of Villanova close by the sea.
Events• February 3rd - Celebrations in honor of St. Biagio Bishop, patron martyr of the city along with Sant'Oronzo
• 24/27 August - Patron Saint's Feast in honor of Sant'Oronzo
• August - Festival dei Vecchi Tempi (Old Times)