Trani, in Apulia (Italy), is a city of 53,883 inhabitants and the capital, along with Andria and Barletta, province of Barletta-Andria-Trani.
The city is just 43 km from Bari, and it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. The name of the city, most probably with a pre-historic origin, is linked to the Diomede’s son, the famous hero of ancient Greek mythology, Tirreno who has discovered it and has also lent his name from Turenum, as documented in the Peutingeriana Table, copy of an old medieval street map of ancient Rome.
Trani today is best known for its artistic and architectural evidence of its glorious past. The main economy activity of this city is the fishery in fact it has a fishing fleet of about 50 boats. Among the main local agricultural products the most important elements are olive oil and the famous Moscato from Trani. Of particular importance to the local economy, are the existence of quarries the typical local stone, the Stone of Trani.
What to see
Thanks to it’s millenarian history, today Trani, in Apulia, Italy, possesses a rich artistic and architectural heritage.
Among the main examples of religious architecture, you will find the Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of St. Nicola Pellegrino in typical Romanesque architecture and built using the typical local Trani Stone during the period of Norman rule. Inside the Cathedral, the Crypt contains many famous relics, including that of the eastern Martyr Santa Febronia. On the peninsula of Capo Colonna, there is the Romanesque Church of S. Maria di Colonna, founded by the nobleman Godfrey Siniscalco together with the Benedictine Monastery between the eleventh and the twelfth century.
Among the best examples of military architecture, the Swabian Castle, built in 1233, which in 1259 held the marriage of Manfred, son of Frederick II, and Elena Ducas. Well-preserved is the Fort of Saint Antonio and the homonymous Church which has been built in the same place. The Fort has been originally built to protect the eastern tip of the port and today it’s considered one of the most sensational sceneries of the city where you can admire the creek on which overlooking the ancient city. It is necessary to point out the Old Port, also known as Golden, the only one of four city gates preserved intact and equipped with two defensive towers.
Among the best examples of civil architecture, many buildings that housed many famous guests. Among these Palumbo Palace, built in 1755 and the eighteenth-century style. Among others, the Palace was home to King Joseph Bonaparte and Joachim Murat. Built in the same period, to be precise in 1762, Valenzano Palace, 1790 to 1812 the seat of the Holy Royal Audience, and the prison known as the "central", and today houses the Chamber of Notaries of the State and District Archives. And then Antonacci Telesio Palace (1761), Caccetta Palace (1456), Lambert Palace (1420) and Torres Palace .
Particulary striking is, finally, the Villa Comunale, built on a terrace of an ancient defensive rampart located at the coast overlooking the sea. Inside you can see palm trees, holm oaks and pines, a miniacquario, the War Memorial, sculpted in 1923 by the artist Antonio Trani Bass, the six milestones of the Via Traiana, and a cottage, now used for exhibitions and various cultural initiatives.
- Holy Week - Living Passion
- May 3 - Festival in honor of St. Maria Colonna
- July - Festivities in honor of B.V. Carmine
- July 30-August 2 - Festival in honor of St. Nicola Pellegrino